Monday, November 2, 2009

Is it my hormones?

Why is it that now, as I am in my late fifties, I suddenly crave true, passionate love? I want to feel that somebody adores me...that they can't stop thinking about me, that they are obsessed with me!

No, not that last part. I'm not into weird stuff. Actually, I live a very normal life. I'm married to the sweetest guy. We've been together for over 20 years and I am not searching for a mid-life romance.

I find this all very odd. It's as if there's a hole in my spirit, for lack of a better word, as if I'm disappearing, becoming less visible than I've been. Where is this coming from? I have a gratifying job, some very close friends, my husband and I go out, we talk, we watch old movies together. I can only blame my hormones for my neediness. And get this, my needs aren't physical; they're emotional and now that they're popping out in full-bloom, there doesn't seem to be any way to deal with them.

I do have a theory that this, perhaps, has something to do with getting older. As a woman ages, she notices that men don't even glance her way anymore. I was never a beauty queen but I did have that little window of time, in my past, when I got appraising looks. Now, nobody seems to see me. Young men aren't interested in eyeballing a woman with wrinkles. Older men (or those my age) are drawn to women in their 20's. Even though I have a good figure, it doesn't matter. I'm slipping away...

This all seems so egocentric and that's not me! I have to ponder more about this...

Well, time to get the clothes out of the wash. Life marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment